|Freshly squeezed with my bare hands.|
This creamy (made with mascarpone and heavy cream) lemon pie was the finale to a wonderful meal of seared pork loin chops, country beets and green pea potato salad. All imagined in my taste buds before shopping or recipe previews. Instead of thinking what traditionally goes with a certain dish, I check in with my savory and sweet guides and let the fun begin. It is a thrill to cook this way. And the consumed results leave deliciousness as a reminder of how letting your taste buds do the talking makes for one hell of a meal. All the better when shared with friends.
Lemon Cream Pie recipe from Plated Cravings
- 1/4 cup butter 60g
- 1 1/4 cups crushed graham cracker or digestive biscuits 160g
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk 400g (Please note, this is the only source of sugar in the recipe. Of course, there is a lot of sugar in sweetened condensed milk.)
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese 225g
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream 180ml
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 120ml, 2-3 large lemons
- Line the bottom and the sides of a 7-inch springform pan with parchment paper or use a 9-inch pie plate. (I used a 9-inch pie plate, sans parchment paper)
- For the crust, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the crumbs and stir to coat them.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.Use a measuring cup to pat down the crumbs. Refrigerate until the filling is ready.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat mascarpone cheese at low-medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. (I don't have a stand mixer with a paddle, so I used beaters and it seemed to work out just fine.)
- Add the sweetened condensed milk slowly and beat into mascarpone until smooth and well mixed.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the lemon juice to the mixture while beating at low-medium speed. The mixture will start to thicken and gets creamy.
- Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight until firm.
- To make this recipe easier, you can use a prepared graham cracker pie crust. This recipe makes about 3 1/2 cups of filling.
- In the photos, I pressed the crumbs only into the bottom of the pan, this works but I find it easier and a bit more foolproof to press the crumbs in the bottom AND up the sides if using a springform pan.
- I recommend using freshly squeezed lemon juice for this recipe. Make sure to use 1/2 cup lemon juice. The lemon juice thickens the filling.
- You can prepare this pie in advance and refrigerate covered overnight. Store leftovers in the fridge. The "Cook time" is the time this pie needs to rest in the refrigerator. There is no actual baking involved in this recipe.
Seared pork loin chops made in a cast iron skillet using butter and olive oil.
Green pea potato salad-I took this recipe from Genius Kitchen recipe by Lainiebug
2 lbs Red Potatoes (I used small purple, red, Yukon gold a little over one pound. It added a bit more color.)