Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Taavi "Frittata" in cast iron, easy peasy and tasty, too.

I call this Taavi Frittata, because it was my friend Taavi who told me how easy it was to make a frittata. I am all about easy and I am all about one pan cooking. Frittatas would have remained a mystery had he not made it sound simple. Trust in Taavi is what I say in all things cooking, well in most all things really.  He's a wizard in the kitchen.

I used a 6 inch cast iron skillet. It turned out to be the perfect size for this one person, one pan dish. To tell the truth, this could feed two, easily.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 6 inch cast iron skillet
2 teaspoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic chopped
1/2 tomato diced
1/2 onion diced
2 mushrooms, sliced
4 fresh basil leaves
3 eggs beaten

In the skillet melt the butter, throw in the salt, tomato, onion, mushroom, garlic, basil. Saute until the onion browns up a bit. Put the beaten eggs on top and put it in the oven. It takes about 10 minutes to cook. When the center no longer looks runny, pull it out of the oven. A spatula removes it easily. You could probably just plop it onto the plate.

Beat three eggs
Pour the egg on top of the sauteed vegetables...
Bake until it is not runny in the middle...
Voila!!!!

What I really really like about making a frittata is the clean up. Amazingly the egg does not stick to the pan. It is great!!!
No egg residue in the pan, amazing!
A Frittata is like a meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, potato salad, etc, you can add what ever you like to it and come out A-Okay!!

The word frittata comes from the feminine derivation of the Italian verb friggere, meaning to fry. And even though this is more omelette than a true Italian Frittata, I think the basic idea of it is the same.

And while this was cooking I tossed a couple of pieces of sour dough bread on the top rack of the oven. It makes for a really crispy toast, that goes well with the "Frittata".

Quote of the Day:
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” 
― Albert Camus


No comments:

Post a Comment