Saturday, June 23, 2012

May Day, May Day!!! Flying Saucer Pie Company....

...on high alert. Incoming, Coconut Cream Pies, prepare your taste buds for the sweetest invasion of your life. Take me to your leader!


This is not a fancy place, strictly grab and go. While I was trying to decide on which pie to buy, a man walked in. I asked him if this was his first time at Flying Saucer Pie Co. He said, "No." That he had been coming to Flying Saucer since it had opened for business in 1967.

He went on to explain that he lives in Conroe and when he does manage to get to Houston, he stops in Flying Saucer Pie to stock-up on pies for himself, family members and people that work for him. The guy made it clear that he isn't too fond of Houston, but Flying Saucer Pie makes the trip worth the effort. I asked him if he had a favorite. He said they are all good. However, his eyes got brighter when he started to describe the Strawberry Pie. "Big red juicy strawberries, topped with whipped cream."  Mmmmm.

I had been invited to dinner, needed to take dessert, wanted it to be good, because I knew that the meal would be other worldly tip-top stellar, and it was. The hard part was to decide which pie to buy. They all sounded delicious, but my pie meter landed on Coconut Cream, one of my favorites. The Strawberry Pie did sound good, though. The man suggested that I buy two pies.

With pie in hand I went to dinner. I was greeted at the door with a happy look that zeroed in on the pie box.

Yumm! was the initial reaction. I was the only one at dinner who had never had pie from Flying Saucer. Let me tell you, I was extremely pleased with my dessert choice.


It was delightful. The filling was light, melt-in-your-mouth good, topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut and the crust, flaky and crisp, savory, a nice pairing with the sweetness of the filling. The pie was a nice cap to a very scrumptous meal.

I guess at the Holidays there is a line around the block for pies. I can see why. I want to exhaust their menu and then start all over again.

Quote of the day: "Don't get fancy. Have you cooked an apple pie? You don't know what you did wrong? Do this: Take two or three apples. Put them on a table. Study them." Paul Prudhomme

Certainly Flying Saucer Pie has studied the apple and has come away from the lesson, "A+" students! 

Flying Saucer Pie Company
436 Crosstimbers Road
Houston, TX 77018
713-694-1141
www.flyingsaucerpieshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment