Thursday, July 5, 2012

Toasting Patrick Flanagan at Hendricks Pub....

....it just seemed like the right thing to do.
I have been wanting to go into Hendricks Pub, because it is a curiosity to me. I remember it not as a pub but as Settegast Kopf Funeral Home.

Hendricks Pub is on the right. The left side of the building is a club called Roak. It has a pool inside.

Certainly, the outside screams "I AM A PUB" not "I USED TO BE A FUNERAL HOME," albeit a very nice one as those things go, but I remember it as the later. It is in fact the last place that I saw Patrick Flanagan, before being taken to his final resting place at Lawndale Cemetery. Patrick and his wife Peggy, neighbors at the first apartment complex I lived in, had taken this hick-from-the-sticks young woman under their wings when I blew into Houston from Kansas, a very long time ago. They  introduced me to Houston as only natives can. I will be forever grateful for their kindness. I felt it was appropriate to give Patrick a proper toast in this funeral home turned pub.

Plus, I have another connection with this pub/funeral home, I worked on an industrial training video with my friend David, who directed the video for SCI, in the 80s. In fact, I played a dead person, lying on a gurney, waiting outside the embalming room. I think I was fully covered by a sheet, but still, it was a bit creepy. We also did a shot of a hearse leaving the garage. The parking lot was sprayed down with water so the concrete looked even, with a nice reflection. David timed the shot perfectly, the garage door opens, the headlights are revealed, the hearse pulls out, turning to the right. We did it at sunrise. It was dramatic and well done.


To be honest, I was a bit nervous going into the pub, so I asked my friend Taavi, who is a good friend and an excellent hip hip horrayer, to meet me there. I just didn't know what to expect or how I would feel once inside the place. I liked it. The pub was warm and open and very lively!!! We sat at the bar, the service was great. Taavi and I raised our glasses to Patrick Flanagan.  "Here's to you Patrick Flanagan, a kind and generous soul. I am so glad that I knew you."


I looked around the place and realized that I was one of the older folks there, wondering if any of these youngster even knew about the funeral home aspect of the place. Luckily a young man in his mid 20s stepped up to the bar, so I asked him if he knew the history of the place, did he know that Hendricks Pub used to be a funeral home. He said that he did. I asked if that bothered him at all. He said not in the least bit. He seemed to be having a good time with friends.



Hendricks Pub has an impressive beer selection and a full bar. I had my usual local beer from Buffalo Brewery Co., Taavi had a beer from Oregon. Both very good. I also tried one of their signature drinks, Hendricks Gimlet made with gin, elderberry flower liqueur, a dash of orange bitters, lime, topped off with champagne. I liked it, because it wasn't overly sweet and it had an effervescence that was refreshing. I do want to go back and try their food. Pub grub is a favorite of mine.

An Old Irish Blessing
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


Hendricks Pub and Eatery
3320 Kirby Drive
Houston, TX 77098
713-522-1500
www.hendrickspub.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment