Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The brain on Valentine's Day....


No this probably isn't what you expected, no sugary treats, no sappy poems, no sweetheart in the wings (dagnabbit), just me and my brain having a special day. The car and TV were off limits.
NO TV!!!!!!
NO CAR!!!!!

If I wanted to get somewhere I either had to walk or ride my bike. Ride my bike I did, right downtown to the Sundance Cinema!!! Spinning wheels, sprockets and all. My hair went wild from the bike's forward motion, the sun warmed my back, there was some burning in my legs, so I did coast from time to time.


I treated my brain to some food that is healthy for it. Sushi. I stopped at the Bluefish Japanese Restaurant before seeing a movie. I had some Salmon (Saki)  and cooked Scallops. Yes, it was fresh.

Scallops and Saki (raw Salmon)

After lunch I walked a few steps over to the Sundance Cinema. It is so nice to have a movie theater downtown again. I just love it.

Since it was Valentine's Day, I thought I would see "The Vow." A romance to be sure, predictable, guaranteed to pull on the old heart strings, cause a few tears, but I knew that "The Vow" was   in every theater in town, why not go see something less ordinary. As I was walking with ticket in hand to "The Vow" I saw the poster for "Pina" and remembered hearing really good things about it. I know for a fact that "Pina" was only showing at Sundance and would be gone on Thursday, so I traded my ticket in for "Pina" and a pair of 3D glasses.

It was a good call. "Pina" is an absolutely wonderful film, directed by Wim Wenders. At first, I thought good grief, I can't make head nor tails of this film, then the story unfolded, the story of the choreographer Pina Bausch her passion for the voice that dance gives dancers, the stories it unleashes, the power of her choreography. It was good for my brain. My brain was happy. By the end of the film, I knew exactly what the film was about and was glad that I had switched my ticket. This movie was a perfect Valentine Day selection. Lots of love in that dance company for their leader and choreographer Pina Bausch. It is so worth seeing.

Here is a link to "Pina" trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpFD7gi8R0

No comments:

Post a Comment