Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cock-a-doodle-do, there's a new Roost-er in town!!!

What can I say, I live in one of the best places in Houston for great places to eat. Original places, chainfree, local, fun, interesting and tasty, of course.  Okay, I think you get the point. Let me tell you about Roost.

It is Sunday, so they aren't open today, but you get the idea of what the place looks like.

Roost is a new place that opened up less than a half mile from my apartment. The owner, chef and chief Roost-er is Kevin Naderi (on his business card), some of you might know him from Haven.  Kevin has done a wonderful job of transforming what used to be The Latino Cafe into a really great place to Roost. Please understand, I loved The Latino Cafe, great Cuban food, but if someone was going to take over the space, I'm sure glad that Kevin did. On the top of the Roost menu they give a great description of what the restaurant is all about.
"Roost is a respite for neighbors and our traveling friends. We strive to keep our local farms happy and in business. Thank you to Animal Farms, Blackhill Meats, Airline Seafood, Atkinson's Farms. We love you."
The food is good to say the least. Last night I tried the oven chicken breast, sweet potato bread pudding, fried sage, mustard jus. At first I was not sure about the fried sage. Sage can be a little over powering, but I was curious about the sweet potato bread pudding, so I ordered it. The chicken breast came with thigh bone in, leaning on the sweet potato bread pudding in a very shallow pool of mustard jus. There were only a few fried sage leaves laying on the plate absorbing the jus. The breast was cooked perfectly, tender, juicy. The more the sweet potato absorbed the mustard jus, the more delicious it got. The sage surprised me. It was a perfect accompaniment to the dish. I ate the whole thing, except the bone.
The menu is one page, but there is a goodly amount of variety. Vegetarian, beef, fowl and fish. I look forward to going back and trying everything on the menu. The service is very good with friendly well informed weight staff and they have recently received their liquor licenses, serving a nice selection of wine and beer. Roost is a small cozy restaurant with tablecloths, fresh flowers and candles on the tables.  I go early, because I guess after about 7, the place forms a line down the street, which should tell you how very good the place is.
Roost
1972 Fairview St. (between McDuffie and Hazard on Fairview)
Houston, TX 77019
713-523-7667
Hours: Mon-Thurs 4-10
            Fri-Sat 4-11
            Closed on Sundays
e-mail roosthouston@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. This place sounds great! And it's just up the street. I'll have to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete