Saturday, January 28, 2012

I will follow my gastrointestinal tract anywhere.....

Today, it led me to an old familiar place. Epicure Cafe in River Oaks Shopping Center.  A favorite of mine.


Sometimes, with all the new places popping up, I forget about my favorites. It is as fresh, flavorful and comfortable now as the first day I walked in the place, 20 or so years ago. It is also twice the size. A few years ago, Kahn, the owner, took over the space next to his. If you look up at the ceiling you will see two different ceiling treatments. I like that about the place, not sure why, but I do. It's still not a large place, but is is roomy and airy. Art lines the walls. The art is for sale, all kinds of art from prints, paintings to photographs.

The bakery part of the cafe is the sparkling jewel in this eatery. There are two main cases, displaying cakes, cookies, breads, tarts. All beautifully prepared with heavenly flavors.

I remember talking to Kahn when La Madeliene moved into the RO Shopping Center. I asked him how he felt about that. As best as I can recall his answer went something like this.  "Great," he replied, "it will add to the foot traffic and bring new people into the area." I liked his answer. It seemed wise and forward thinking at the time and I think it showed confidence in his restaurant and his open minded community spirit.
This morning I had breakfast at Epicure. The Florentine Croissant, scrabbled eggs with ham and spinach.

The man sitting at the table next to me asked me "What is that? It looks really good. Do you want to trade?" His breakfast looked very tasty, but I opted to stay with my choice. It was good. Too much really for one person, but I put a pretty big dent in it. 
The Epicure Cafe is on the same side of the street as another favorite of mine, The River Oaks Theater. Sometimes, I start or end my movie going experience with a trip to Epicure. I get to mix two of my favorite things, movie and food. Oh my. I think I need to start exercising more!!!!!

Epicure Cafe
2005 West Gray Street
Houston, TX 77019
713-520-6174
www.epicure-cafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment