Saturday, January 21, 2012

Soup's on.....






I love soup. I love to make soup. Here is my recipe for Leek and Sweet Potato Soup. As always it is up for interpretation. That is what is so lovely about soups, you can take a recipe,  add to it, change it or exactly follow it. I looked at a couple of different recipes and added what I wanted to mine. The chicken broth I used in this recipe, I made. I feel I have more control over the outcome/flavor of the soup when I make my own broth. This soup is creamy, filling and of course, I think,  pretty tasty.

Sweet Potato and Leek Soup
6 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
3 leeks (thinly sliced, thoroughly rinsed, they seem to shelter a lot of dirt folded in their leaves)
3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 medium white potato (peeled and diced)
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Bessemer spice blend (got this at Whole Foods in the bulk spice area)
2 teaspoon salt
2 sprigs fresh Thyme
2 Bay Leaves (I used fresh)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (finely chopped)

While doing the prep for the vegetables I have the chicken broth heating on the stove in a large pan.
Chop, slice and dice the potatoes, leeks, ginger

Melt butter in a skillet add the leeks. Sautee the leeks until they are soft.

Put leeks, potatoes, Ginger, spices, salt, Thyme, Bay Leaves in the chicken broth.
Bring to a boil.
Once the mixture comes to a full boil, turn the heat down and cover the pot, let simmer for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
When the potatoes are cooked, run the mixture through the food processor, removing the Bay Leaves. Do this in a 4 to 5 step process. Transfer the processed soup to a bowl.

Once all the soup is processed, put it back in the large pot to keep warm.
Serves 4 to 6

No comments:

Post a Comment