Friday, January 6, 2012

It's herbal, Herb!!!

   That silly air freshener commercial from the 70s, the phrase that made me slap me head and go huh! and roll my eyes, too, well, as it turns out, it is herbal, herb.  Herbs, love them, they grow for me. My thumb isn't so green, but herbs don't seem to notice, they like lots of sun and if you smile at them often, they grow like crazy. In this small plot of ground, I have lavender, bay leaf, oregano, basil, rosemary, spearmint, thyme, tarragon, Italian parsley.  Herbs are happy plants and very good for a lot of stuff.  I love it when a recipe calls for an herb that sprouts in my garden. I grab my sissors and cut a few sprigs. I have made fresh pesto with the basil, seasoned stew with the bay leaves and thyme, added rosemary and tarragon to olive oil and lemon to make a great salad dressing or marinade. The lavender I rub in my hands and hold it up to my face, it calms me, truly.
  When it rains, the herbs give off a lovely scent. I sit under my small porch and breathe it all in. Brushing past them on the way down the sidewalk leaves their mark on my clothes, to revisit later. I also use herbs in small bouquets. I have a hanging vase in my bathroom that I put fresh herbs in and when I have them, zinnias. Smells good and is pretty, too.
   Oh, and I keep aloe vera in a pot next to my kitchen, because I've been known to burn my hand reaching into a hot oven, klutz that I am. It soothes the burn and starts the healing process immediately. Aloe vera is also good for face and hair.

   Herbs, herbs, herbs, no matter how you say it, it is all good.

2 comments: